Friday, January 13, 2012

Doing some research.

I recently realized how wonderful the library is. In the past, if I wanted a book I would go to Barnes & Noble, get a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha, and PAY for my books (most of which have ended up on a shelf in our spare bedroom). Granted, I do love having a "shelf of victory" (I read all these books!), but most books I wont ever read again - so why bother to buy them?

Now, my son and I stroll to our neighborhood library and can find books FOR FREE! (what a concept!) Not to mention free dvd rentals and audio books! (No Starbucks, but I'll survive.)

So today I checked out a slew of books on home farming, backyard farms, raising chickens, etc.



I wanted to learn more about chicken feeding schedules (how often do we feed them?), safety (how do I keep hawks away?), health concerns (what the heck is bumblefoot?)...and I actually learned quite a bit!
A few interesting facts:
- Chicks can't be moved outside (to their coop) until they develop scapular feathers and the weather temperature is around 60 degrees.
- Pullet: Young female chicken, under 1 year of age / Broiler: A meat bird (usually 5-10 weeks of age)
- Chickens will come back to the coop every night! So they can roam free in your yard during the day and when it gets dark they will return home. (unless an owl gets them)

I'm also learning about building coops...more to come on that!



Why raise chickens?
- Easy and inexpensive to maintain (when compared to raising the four dogs we have now)
- Eggs that are fresh, great-tasting & nutritious
- Chemical-free bug and weed control
- Manufacture the worlds best fertilizer
- Great pets

Thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment