Saturday, January 14, 2012

Watching over the garden.

Gargoyles have been a part of architectural history since the days of the ancient Greek and Egyptian empires. Though some gargoyles have a fearsome appearance, their use is thought to be far more altruistic. According to the mythological explanations surrounding their history, gargoyles have the power to ward off evil spirits. What better "protector" of your garden?!

I'm in the process of finding the perfect stone creature for our garden...a garden buddy that we can name (probably something like Dr. Stonehurst or Granite Gary or Bob).




Criteria for our garden gargoyles:
- No scary faces!
It can have huge fangs/claws, but as long as its smiling, I'll be happy. (funny, happy, whimsical creatures) I am really freaked out by disturbing faces...it all goes back to the time when I was a small child and saw the movie "It." Oh, Pennywise...how you haunted my dreams for years...and also helped to fuel my hatred for clowns.

- Wings!
I like winged creatures very much (as I have an affinity for birds) - so anything with wings is a plus. Owls, griffins (not Peter Griffin), horses (Pegasus)...all good choices.

- No fairies!
Although they are cute and all...I am not into fairies (yes, I know they have wings!)...perhaps it goes back to the time when I was a small child and saw the movie "Fern Gully".....

If you find any fun, happy, non-freaky gargoyles - please let me know! If you find one, you can name it when it goes in our garden.

Thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment