Monday, April 16, 2012

Chicks Day Out!

We took the chicks outside today for the first time! I had no idea what to expect - I thought they would peck at the ground and run wild! But they were very apprehensive, staying close to me while they took in the sites and sounds of the outside world.


Pauline - Enjoying the Magnolia leaves.


Miss Bea decided it was safer on my shoulder, rather than the ground.


Marion keeping an eye out for hawks!


The Amazing Babs!


Clem & Baby Ruth


My husband giving Mac a hand.


Bernadette felt safe by the fire truck.


Ma Belle taking a walk with Bernadette.


I found its much easier to take ONE chick out at a time. I let Clem & Baby Ruth out together and Clem took off...I was worried she would scurry under the deck and never return! It took my husband and I about 5 minutes to catch her! She cant fly yet, but she can flap her wings, which will lift her off the ground momentarily. This flapping gave her enough lift to escape from our grasp several times - I'm sure people walking by our house were laughing as the two of us ran around the yard after this little chick!

I cant believe they are already 3 weeks old! We are going through a small 2 lb. bag of feed every 3 days now...I can only imagine how much these birds will eat when they are full grown!

Thanks for checking in!

1 comment: